![]() |
As far as movies that I've watched in the theater, Star Trek 2009 is top 3 for the most money I have spent on one movie. I think I went to see it roughly ten times. About the same as Star Wars Episode 3, less times than I went to see Avatar. But Avatar tickets were more due to 3D and the movie was quite a bit longer so theater time was probably pretty close even if I only watched it 5ish times. I've never been a big show fan, but I've watched all the movies multiple times. I tried watching episode 1 of TNG and couldn't make it 15 minutes. I've watched more Voyager than anything. Episode 3 and Star Trek #11 have quite a bit in common. As in they are both space action movies. This movie wasn't popular with pure Trek people as it deviated from what the show was.
For me though I love just about everything about it. I think this is peak J.J. Abrams, or Apex Mountain for him as Bill Simmons would say. The cast is perfect. Pine and Quinto are Kirk and Spock. Karl Urban I could watch in anything from LOTR to The Boys to Dredd. Hell Ghost Ship and Doom are so much better due to him. And he sounds so much like the Doc. Simon Pegg has a large part to add to The Boys cinematic universe connection. Zoe Saldaña has a large filmography I don't feel like typing. Anton Yelchin, John Cho and Bruce Greenwood have slightly smaller parts but all do wonderfully. Friggin Winona Ryder plays an important but short role. Kind of a weird choice though as his mom, she's only 6 years older than Quinto. Chris Hemsworth shows up for 5 minutes and wins the movie. They snag Leonard Nimoy and it makes it feel much more Trek like. And the villains, I've been following Clifton Collins Jr. since 1997 when he did One Eight Seven with Sammie. "Wiggle your flanges, gs"
I've already discussed a bit how much I love Eric Bana, he was the true hero of Troy. He was a so so Bruce Banner, but that script did him no favors. King Arthur and Black Hawk Down were good, haven't watched Hanna or Munich yet but they are on the list. The Romulans are mostly boring and angry but it helps having this actor here. Nero does have a deleted scene.
YouTube - The Wait is Over
The Spock Kirk confrontation is my second favorite scene in the movie, Spock beats Kirk into a puddle while everyone just watches. But at the end, it's Kirk who controls the USS Enterprise while Spock demotes himself to first mate.
Given that I've watched this movie so much, it's almost hard to rank the Spock fight as being much higher than the others but it has everything we need, action, heart, suspense and a cliff hanger while fulfilling the entire movies goal of place Kirk in the chair. The sequels were a bit worse, the second - Trek Into Darkness has much of the same charm but is a weaker script.
My favorite scene is missing Spock until the very end, but it shows the infamous Kobayashi Maru.
YouTube - Kirk Beats Spock's Test
YouTube - Kirk Beats Spock's Test
Other rewatchable scenes include the beginning with Hemsworth -
YouTube - Beginning Scene
Last but not least, Kirk trying to convince Pike they are walking into a trap.
YouTube - Enterprise Warps Into a Trap
YouTube - Beginning Scene
Last but not least, Kirk trying to convince Pike they are walking into a trap.
YouTube - Enterprise Warps Into a Trap

Comments
Post a Comment