Skip to main content

50 Most Rewatchable Movie Scenes - 12. Superman - A Terrifically Bad Beach Day

Superman

YouTube - Mr. Terrific & Lois Lane Beach Fight

It just makes me smile. James Gunn's music in his movies have some bangers and this is top two. I won't discuss Guardians since that might be a future movie scene but I enjoy James Gunn for the most part. Slither and Super were both solid, but nothing groundbreaking. Peacemaker is a good show with the best intro ever maybe. The Suicide Squad was so much better than the original. I never took any of his stupid tweets seriously, so I was sad Marvel fired him. The jury is still out on whether that was a correct move. Superman might have made $125M to $150M but then Supergirl lost $150M - $200M. I've never re-watched this movie. Just by writing this post, I'm gaining an appreciation for it. I didn't love this movie and while I can't put a finger completely on it, there are some things that bug me. First I'm Zack Snyder truther, half his movies are either completely brilliant. Watchmen, 300, Man of Steel, Dawn of the Dead for example. Or are complete dog poopy. Sucker Punch, Rebel Moon, Army of the Dead are some of the worst movies ever made but look visually interesting. Was Justice League a good movie? The Joss Whedon version was pretty awful. I like Joss Whedon's Avengers, but what he pasted together with JL was ugly work. Zack Snyder's version was better, hell at over 4 hours long it had so much more to it. I don't know how I would have felt had I watched this version first. Even if this movie came in with the slimmest of  positive review margins, like a 51%, they leave us off at a cliff hanger where Darkseid's army is getting ready to invade. Rotten Tomatoes increased from a critic score of 39% to 71% and audience score of 66% to 92%. Anyway what a terrible choice, whoever was involved not giving us a finale/follow up/conclusion should be punched by Whedon's Superman. He's so over-powered, the other members of the league combined can barely keep up with fighting Steppenwolf. But Superman flies in and two punches his way to victory. Like no drama there at all. Superman is very powerful in every single movie, with the exception of this Gunn one. He loses like 4 out of the 5 fights he gets into in this movie. 

This scene is my only real rewatchable scene, but oh what a scene it is. Mr. Terrific is the best character in the movie and this scene highlights him quite well. Superman is missing, Lois is investigating, Mr. Terrific is fighting an army with tiny flying robots, and “5 Years Time” (a song I really enjoy and wouldn't have ever guessed this could ever work) is cheerfully playing over everything.

The behind the scenes clip of this where David Corenswet couldn't understand why Superman would say his greatest power is his humanity and poor sweet James Gunn tries his best. "The one thing that conservatives and liberals can finally agree on is that Lex Luthor sucks."
YouTube - Superman Confronting Lex Luthor

This is a good fight and we are introduced to the Justice League, Mr. Terrific who kills the Kaiju, Green Lantern, fat with a weird haircut, and Owl/Hawk Flying Girl/Woman.
YouTube - Justice Gang Fights Kaiju

One of the fights he pretty much loses.
YouTube - Superman Vs Engineer & Ultraman

The prelude to the beach scene.
YouTube - The Hall of Justice

And the follow up to the beach scene.
YouTube - Portal Escape with Metamorpho & Mr Terrific

Dammit, now I have to re-watch this movie to see how that fight ends and where this goes.
YouTube - Lois Lane's EXCLUSIVE Interview

And the funniest part of the whole movie, Green Lantern giving middle fingers away.
YouTube - The Justice Gang Stops the War

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Favorite Adult Swim Characters

I tried to get a good variety and yet be fair to what I like the most. I'm sure there are one I've missed and some that might be surprising but if it aired on Adult Swim - I can use it. I didn't use any characters from either Robot Chicken or Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! as they are basically clip shows and while good, the re-occurring characters aren't used enough. Also, it turns out H. Jon Benjamin is the voice for half these shows. 50. Chains     Fat Guy Stuck in Internet 49. Assy McGee    Assy McGee H. Jon Benjamin plays the mayor. 48. The Mayor    Tom Goes to the Mayor A Picture of Jeff Goldbloom instead of the Mayor, but this was by far the funniest thing on the show. 47. Inuyasha    Inuyasha 46. Satan     Lucy: The Daughter of the Devil Wears Bill Cosby sweaters and is always trying to kill his daughters boyfriend DJ Jesus. Yeah... One of the H. Jon Benjamin voices...

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (20-1)

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (100-81) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (80-61) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (60-41) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (40-21) 20. Vexing Devil Giving an opponent a choice is never a good idea. However I really feel like it's win win here in the aggressive deck. A 4/3 for one will almost always be worth a card. So the real question is - is it worth a card to deal 4 damage for a red? It's not quite Flame Slash good in a control deck, or as great top deck as Thunderous Wrath but better than Thunderbolt or Lava Axe . 19. Scute Mob Not a true one drop. But by turn six hopefully you are going get a hydra-like insect that will quickly get insanely huge if not dealt with. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have trample. It's still a great costed creature that can do some work if unchecked. There are lots of ways to give it Trample in Green not named Rancor . 18. Dragonmaster Outcast And yet another non-true o...