Skip to main content

Top 30 Movies I Want To See In 2018

Top 30 Movies I Want To See In 2018

Annual list #8 . Mostly just a visual guide to myself, but hopefully someone else out there will be interesed.
- I've probably watched about 165 films this year, around the same as last year, didn't officially keep count though.
- I did watch The Revenant, Hacksaw Ride and Passengers, which were my top 3 previously released to watch this year.
- I also managed to watch 4 of my 8 honorable mentions from last year.
- And made it through 22 of my top 30 as well.

Previous Years:
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011

Previous movies on my list that aren't out yet that still exist.
- Super Troopers 2 - There is a trailer now, so it's happening. Very excited.
- Gambit - Channing Tatem is still attached, so I don't think it's dead yet.

The following have been finally released and are a part of my to do list going forward:
The Man with the Iron Heart (HHHH), Rings, War Machine, Risen

My 3 leading movies still to watch by year(according to this blog):
2017 - Free Fire, War for the Planet of the Apes, Kingsman: The Golden Circle
2016 - Assassin's Creed, The 5th Wave, The Legend of Tarzan
2015 - Joy, Spectre, Straight Outta Compton
2014 - Lone Survivor, Project Almanac, Jupiter Ascending
2013 - Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Stoker, Oblivion
2012 - Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, That's My Boy, Safe House
2011 - Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows, Paul, I Am Number Four 

My not in-depth 40 ranking of 2017:

Honorable Mention - The Promise Only watched a portion of it, and I'm not sure if I want to revisit it.
40. Baywatch
39. Moonlight
38. I Am Not Your Negro
37. Manchester By the Sea
36. The Shack
35. Life
34. The Mummy
33. Dunkirk
32. Lady Bird
31. Moana
30. Annabelle: Creation
29. Jigsaw
28. Get Out
27. Split
26. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
25. Gifted
24. Kong: Skull Island
23. Logan
22. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
21. The LEGO Batman Movie
20. The Great Wall
19. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
18. Baby Driver
17. Transformers: The Last Knight
16. Alien: Covenant
15. Mother
14. Detroit
13. Arrival
12. Wonder Woman
11. Hidden Figures
10. La La Land
9. Beauty and the Beast
8. Power Rangers
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
6. It
5. The Big Sick
4. Justice League
3. Star Wars: Episode VIII
2. Thor: Ragnarok
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2


Starting the list with another 10 additional Honorable Mentions, making the list an even 40.

Blockers, April 6th
 photo Blockers_zps27fuos5t.jpg
John Cena cock-blocks his child on prom night? I'm really not familar with Cena, though people are into him.

Driving While Black, February 21st  photo Driving While Black_zps9wm1r6gm.jpg
Looks like it has potential be funny and informative. Probably better than Disaster Movie, worse than Super Troopers if I had to guess. Although, that's quite a range.

A Demon Within, January 12th
 photo A Demon Within_zps45r6mfdk.jpg
The trailer freaked me out, which is really the only reason I'm mentioning it.

Acts of Violence, January 12th  photo Acts of 
Violence_zps989nobnj.jpg
Bruce Willis plays a cop, but it ain't no Die Hard. If that's a sentence. Now The Rock's new Skyscraper, that might be much closer to DH.

Game Night, February 23
 photo Game Night_zps51oaczma.jpg
McAdams and Bateman get into some mischief. I like these two as actors.
It's probably going to be very similar to Date Night or The Hangover as far as comedies go. 

Holmes and Watson, November 9th  photo Holmes and Watson_zpshyalpoms.jpg
I'm usually on board with Will Ferrell and we know John C. Reilly plays off of him well. Or at least I have fond memories of Nights and Step Brothers.

Halloween 3, October 19th  photo Halloween 3_zpsieqwq0an.jpg
Jamie Lee Curtis is returning. Halloween H20 was forgettable, but I wasn't too found of the recent Halloween 2 either. I don't know what I want in a Halloween movie, but I don't know if they know what to do with it either.

Replicas, August 24th
 photo Replicas_zps6h8vtq5a.jpg
Keanu Reeves tries to bring his family back from the dead.
Not sure if it will be more Sci-Fi, or more horror.
I'm not a huge fan of people pouting for long run times in movies unless revenge is involved.

Winchester, February 2nd
 photo Winchester_zpsufljtstd.png
A ghost story about the gun creators. I'm not sure how the second half of that statement will make it better than other generic ghost movies, but I didn't hate the trailer.

Wreck-It-Ralph 2
 photo Wreck-It-Ralph 2_zpsoezgnbnd.jpg
I only just watched the original this year. It was a fun movie just not super excited about a sequel.

Top 30 

30. Red Sparrow, March 2nd
 photo Red Sparrow_zpsy4qmgxuv.jpg
Jennifer Lawrence is looking well in what I can only imagine a Black Widow movie would be like.

29. The 15:17 to Paris, February 9th  photo The 1517 to Paris_zpsqpoxa8df.png
I had honestly never heard of this incident. Clint Eastwood actually pulled the real people involved in stopping the terrorist.

28. Tomb Raider, March 16th
 photo Tomb Raider_zpsqxwq9nel.jpg
It will be a little strange without Angelina Jolie, but even stranger if it's a good movie.

27. Ready Player One, March 30th  photo Ready Player One_zpsjcub9ojy.jpg
It's hard to get a real good grasp on what the story will be from the one trailer. Hopefully it's more than a video game/nostalgia movie, though it's taken much less to get me into the theater. I still haven't watched Pixels for example.

26. Insidious: The Last Key, January 5th  photo Insidious The Last Key_zpsazuyfauo.jpg
I've enjoyed each one of these in the series so far. It will probably be average, but I will likely be entertained by it.

25. The Cloverfield Paradox/God Particle, April 20
 photo God Particle_zpsa1dyzfod.jpg
Are these the same movie? It's looking like that, so much for an April release. Looks like Netflix grabbed it and put it out right after the Superbowl. Reviews don't seem promising.

24. Ocean's 8, June 8th
 photo Oceans 8_zpsejp2vlzg.jpg
I really wasn't interested in the concept originally, but after watching the trailer and seeing the cast together makes me think it might be interesting. Probably should watch Ocean's 13 first. 12 was quite the letdown though.

23. Hostiles, January 26th
 photo Hostiles_zpsqysp5xwj.png
I'm a fan of just about anything Christian Bale does, I don't care how many lighting people he screams at. He seems to be a bit racist against Indians in this one.

22. A Wrinkle in Time, March 9th  photo A Wrinkle in Time_zpswpfgbdcj.jpg
I have already forgot what the trailer was about. It gives me a Cloud Atlas and a Lion, Witch and Wardrobe vibe.

21. Annihilation, February 23rd
 photo Annihilation_zpstpcktrbm.jpg
Geh, I'm not a fan of Natalie Portman. It's amazing how good Thor and Star Wars became after she left. That said, it looks like an interesting premise despite her.

20. Aquaman, December 21st
 photo Aquaman_zps9cfolmd9.jpg
I'm still quite tepid about a movie like this. Will anyone watch it? I'm not sure I want to. He was my least favorite member of the Justice League movie and I don't know if they can make underwater fighting interesting. I'd say they should go the Ant-Man route and turn him into comedy, I get it might not work with this actor and The Flash already has that role, but I digress.

19. Rampage, April 20th
 photo Rampage_zpswxwjciwh.jpg
This ranking is fueled by my love of the video game when I was a kid. It might...heck..it is going to be probably just a popcorn movie. But that will be okay with me. Congo meets King Kong esch.

18. Samson, February 16th
 photo Samson_zpszmvljtd2.jpg
This one on the other hand is fueled by my love of Sword and Sandals movies especially Hercules. Gods of Egypt and The Rock's Hercules were both better than expected, hopefully this can be in a similar vein.

17. Mortal Engines, December 14th
 photo Mortal Engines_zpsappyb7rq.jpg
Seems like quite the bizarre concept. Not a huge fan of the post apocalyptic movies.
I'm a fan of Peter Jackson though and will welcome Hugo Weaving as a star.

16. Mission: Impossible - Fallout, July 27th  photo Mission Impossible 6_zpsvyamkcxf.jpg
Mission Impossible uhhh 6? What I remember about each of them - 1 was fantastic though very confusing, 2 was a letdown and off tonally, 3 robbed me of the scene in the movie I wanted, in 4 he crawls up a giant ass building and then a sandstorm ruins the ending, and 5 he jumps on a plane and then there's a really sweet water scene later.

15. Pacific Rim Uprising, March 23rd
 photo Pacific Rim Uprising_zpsrqbyvsu8.jpg
The first one was a pleasant surprise. I'm always a big fan of giant things fighting other giant things. John Boyega seems like a decent replacement for Idris Elba and Charlie Hunnam.

14. Mowgli - The Jungle Book, October 19th
 photo Mowgli_zpsmgmx2imx.jpg
It feels too soon given that we are only two years removed from a very good Jungle Book. I hadn't actually watched the cartoon as a kid. They will have a tough time trying to top Christopher Walken, Elba, Kingsley and Bill Murray. But if anyone is going to give it a go, I think the trio of Benedict Cumberbatch, Andy Serkis and Christian Bale could be up to the task.

13. The Predator, August 3rd
 photo The Predator_zpsvxb9ybf3.jpg
The first Predator was good. Predator 2 was quite different but in it's own way enjoyable. Then came those Alien vs Predator movies. And eventually Predators, which wasn't good. I guess my point is that each one has been worse than the last one and none have lived up to the potential of the creature.

12. Creed 2, November 21st
 photo Creed 2_zpsemnnbkbe.jpg
I'm a fan of fighting movies for some reason. I need to re-watch the first Creed again, but I think I enjoyed it. I'm excited to see some Ivan Drago revenge in this one. I think we are in a good place with a Rocky coach compared to what Rocky Balboa tried doing.

11. Robin Hood, September 21st  photo Robin Hood_zpswniiov4c.jpg
I'm also a sucker for Robin Hood movies. This one has Jamie Foxx as Little John and some other actors, I don't know or care...I'm going watch it. We do get Ben Mendelson(Director Krenic) as a bad guy again. Robin Hood is going to be played by Kingsman's Eggsy. It really doesn't take much to excite me about this.

10. Venom, October 5th
 photo Venom_zpssj9lwsce.jpg
It won't take much to improve on the Spider-Man 3 version of the character or make a better film. I like the Tom Hardy casting choice. Hopefully they will integrate him with Spider-Man's Tom Holland soon after this.

9. Bumblebee, December 21st
 photo Bumblebee_zpstrozx5tj.jpg
I'm still watching these Transformer movies, and I even revisit them probably more than I should. Is there much of a plot in any of them? Of course not. I wasn't excited for this premise when I first heard about it, but I think it has potential to be something. Sector 7, a VW Bug, Optimus Prime will all be included. Hopefully he is given an actual voice this time instead of whatever crap they keep doing to him. Interested in what a non Michael Bay Transformers movie will look like.

8. Black Panther, February 16th
 photo Black Panther_zpsm5ui2ait.jpg
I watched the trailer once and I'm trying to avoid it going forward. There isn't much more to get excited about. I hope it does well. Clearly this is more interesting than like Aquaman cause Marvel is winning.

7. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, June 22nd
 photo Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom_zpsvwt9kbft.jpg
The more recent Superbowl trailer got me more excited. It does seem like it's rehashing parts of Jurassic Park 2. Chris Pratt and some dinosaurs can keep me entertained for two hours. Not a huge fan of all the fake dinosaurs they keep throwing at us.

6. The Incredibles 2, June 15th
 photo The Incredibles 2_zpschrqfr5w.jpg
When you wait so long for a sequel, you need to deliver. Don't Godfather 3 or Zoolander 2 us here. Give us something on par with the original and it will be fantastic.

5. Ant-Man and the Wasp, July 6th
 photo Ant-Man and the Wasp_zpsma7kedj4.jpg
The first Ant-Man was a good surprise. I think the cast of Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas did well. I'm glad Michael Pena is coming back. It looks like we will get a Michelle Pfeiffer appearance as well as Laurence Fishburn. Not sure who Ghost is, but we'll sure find out.

4. X-Men: Dark Phoenix, November 2nd
 photo X-Men Dark Phoenix_zpspbjgyrvc.jpg
Like Venom, it won't be hard to improve on the last installment of this character. Apocalypse mostly let me down and even Logan didn't do too much for me so my expectations for this universe are tempered for the time being until Marvel gets a hold of it. I do like the trio of Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy quite a lot. Maybe we'll finally get a Quicksilver payoff with Magneto.

3. Deadpool Sequel, May 18th
 photo Deadpool 2_zpsojl6fjob.jpg
No one truly saw the original Deadpool coming, or at least doing nearly as well as it did. I'm excited for more of the same. Kind of strange having Josh Brolin play another comic book character, but maybe we'll get some sweet jokes out of that as well. Trailer looks awesome.

2. Solo: A Star Wars Story, May 25th
 photo Solo A Star Wars Story_zpscxuk5ifb.jpg
It's going to be super weird having another actor play this character. Though oddly I'm okay with Lando being played by someone different. I'm excited to see what they will all do with it. Rogue One did a great job as a prequel and hopefully this one can be in a similar fashion. The director drama is really interesting to me, though not a good sign.

1. Avengers: Infinity War, May 4th
   photo Avengers Infinity War_zpsv4t5lqqf.jpg
I haven't watched the trailer, I don't know if Thanos will live up to the hype of a decade behind him but I will be the most stoked for this since SW Episode 8.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (20-1)

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (100-81) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (80-61) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (60-41) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (40-21) 20. Vexing Devil Giving an opponent a choice is never a good idea. However I really feel like it's win win here in the aggressive deck. A 4/3 for one will almost always be worth a card. So the real question is - is it worth a card to deal 4 damage for a red? It's not quite Flame Slash good in a control deck, or as great top deck as Thunderous Wrath but better than Thunderbolt or Lava Axe . 19. Scute Mob Not a true one drop. But by turn six hopefully you are going get a hydra-like insect that will quickly get insanely huge if not dealt with. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have trample. It's still a great costed creature that can do some work if unchecked. There are lots of ways to give it Trample in Green not named Rancor . 18. Dragonmaster Outcast And yet another non-true o

50 Favorite Adult Swim Characters

I tried to get a good variety and yet be fair to what I like the most. I'm sure there are one I've missed and some that might be surprising but if it aired on Adult Swim - I can use it. I didn't use any characters from either Robot Chicken or Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! as they are basically clip shows and while good, the re-occurring characters aren't used enough. Also, it turns out H. Jon Benjamin is the voice for half these shows. 50. Chains     Fat Guy Stuck in Internet 49. Assy McGee    Assy McGee H. Jon Benjamin plays the mayor. 48. The Mayor    Tom Goes to the Mayor A Picture of Jeff Goldbloom instead of the Mayor, but this was by far the funniest thing on the show. 47. Inuyasha    Inuyasha 46. Satan     Lucy: The Daughter of the Devil Wears Bill Cosby sweaters and is always trying to kill his daughters boyfriend DJ Jesus. Yeah... One of the H. Jon Benjamin voices 45. Brak    The Brak Show/Space Ghost Alien space p