Skip to main content

Top 30 Movies I Want To See In 2017

I haven't wrote since basically last year at this time when I did this.
Time and inspiration have been issues but I have been watching many a movie this year.
I would estimate around 170 in total(about one every other day).
I was worried about 2017 before doing this list, but it is looking decent.
My top 3 that I have yet to see atm from last year are The Revenant, Hacksaw Ridge and Passengers.
Here are my thoughts and ranks for the films I am excited for (that I know about) - this year.

To recap some I had on my list last year which didn't come out in 2016. 
Gambit - No movie last year, maybe this October?. The X-Men need a kick in the pants.

Super Troopers 2 - Coming in 2017 hopefully, but we've heard that before.

Mallbrats - Sounds like it died or got turned into a tv show.

Clerks 3 - No year given, so not likely this year but still hoping.

Animal Crackers - April - Yes a movie about crackers is still amusing to me.

The Man with the Iron Heart (HHHH) - May 2017 outside the US - Assassination attempt on a Nazi Leader

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - Releasing in May, looks more down to earth than the Clive Owen one and looks like pieces are shot like a Bourne movie.

Rings - Coming in February - looks like a good sequel to one of my favorite Horror movies.

War Machine - Says 2017, so maybe later on in the year. Brad Pitt, Afghanistan war satire.

The Great Wall - Releasing in February this year. Looks fantastical and stylized but I can get behind it.

Gifted - I'm pretty excited for this. It looks interesting to me about an uncle in a custody battle with his mom over raising his deceased sister's gifted girl.

Risen - Story after the crucifixion. Doesn't look like the kind of movie I want it to be, but will probably see it at some point.

The Promise - Oscar Isaac and Christen Bale in a period piece love triangle.

Honorable Mentions
Darkest Hour
 photo Darkest Hour_zpsnrmalehh.jpg
Release:  November 24th
Gary Oldman as Churchill. Oldman is entertaining. Maybe it can be similar to the King's Speech.

I Am Not Your Negro
 photo I Am Not Your Negro_zpsacsll7ne.jpg
Release:  February 3rd
Samuel Jackson narrates over an unfinished book. I enjoy history movies like this.

The Shack
 photo The Shack_zpsbk2543f4.jpg
Release:  March 3rd
Never read the book, the trailer has some good moments but it looks pretty slow goings.

Get Out
 photo Get Out_zpsi0frerwm.jpg
Release:  February 24th
Looks like a Horror movie, but people will probably get up in arms about it. I don't want to get into it.

Jumanji
 photo Jumanji_zpsxxo2inso.jpg
Release:  December 22nd
Just add The Rock to a movie and it will be saved. Jack Black and Kevin Hart join him. I only really remember pieces of the original. Karen Gillan is something great.

Geostorm
 photo Geostorm_zpsl45opr14.jpg
Release:  October 20th
Gerard Butler and Ed Harris. Something about an assassination attempt and space.

Murder on the Orient Express
 photo Murder on the Orient Express_zpsspnncg9c.jpg
Release:  November 22nd
I know it's a remake of a classic. Don't know much else. It does have Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz and Daisy Ridley.

Split
 photo Split_zpsrsgvvyl6.jpg
Release: January 20th
James McAvoy is a multiple personality. I'm expecting a Prisoners/10 Cloverfield Lane like hostage situation.

Andddd Countdown:
30. The Boss Baby
 photo The Boss Baby_zpsdrj2eton.jpg
Release: March 31st
Alec Baldwin's voice is perfect here. The trailer is funny, but there are quite a few animated movies I don't get to. Secret Life of Pets and Peanuts being two on my list.

29. It
 photo It_zpsnxwulvuj.jpg
Release: September 8th
I remember trying to get behind the TV show but couldn't do it. Clowns are creepy, I'm excited.

28. Baywatch
 photo Baywatch_zpslxgksocc.jpg
Release: May 26th
Just add The Rock to a movie and it will be saved. I scoffed at the idea before I saw the trailer.
We can only hope it's close to 21 Jumpstreet or Central Intelligence opposed to the old TV show.

27. The Girl With All the Gifts
 photo The Girl With All the Gifts_zpssdk106mc.png
Release: January 26th
Hopefully unique Zombie movie with an already turned zombie(?) having the cure?

26. Annabelle 2
 photo Annabelle 2_zps8sk6aasj.jpg
Release: August 11th
Clearly I'm a Horror movie guy and clearly I don't mind sequels. The bar is low here. But I'm someone who enjoyed Insidious 2 and The Conjuring 2 . Also excited about The Ring 3(above) Haven't watched Ouija 2 though which is supposed to be good.

25. The Dark Tower
 photo The Dark Tower_zps04mslmzl.jpg
Release: July 28th
Going to show my un-enlightenment here and say I don't know anything about this. But it's reputation precedes it.

24. Blade Runner 2049
 photo Blade Runner 2049_zpsg4ppg3ag.jpg
Release: October 6th
I did watch the original once. It's been a long time. I thought it was good, but I clearly am outside the super excited or super disappointed zone this is probably in for some people.

23. Ghost in the Shell
 photo Ghost in the Shell_zpsj1c9lavz.jpg
Release: March 31st
White washing aside, it looks like it could be a faithful adaptation. People didn't like that about Watchmen, and people will probably not entirely dig this. I watched the cartoon once, but remember even less than Blade Runner.

22. Kong: Skull Island
 photo Kong - Skull Island_zpsiuqgkmqg.jpg
Release: March 10th
We're basically leading up to a Godzilla fight right? Samuel Jackson and Tom Hiddleston have their work cut out for them. I liked the Peter Jackson King Kong of a decade ago, but it was bloody 3 hours long.

21. Saw: Legacy
 photo Saw Legacy_zpsaj6axny9.jpeg
Release: October 27th
I really like the Saw movies. Puts me in the Halloween spirit. They all have something to say unlike most Horror movies. And unlike most Horror movies, the bad guy died 5 movies ago now and doesn't keep coming back to life.

20. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
 photo Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets_zpsod056uff.jpg
Release: July 21st
Again, know nothing about the material this is based on. I am excited about the Fifth Element look the Fifth Element director is bringing. I also liked Lucy. I'm worried there won't be a plot, but the effects look very video game like(in a good way).

19. Dunkirk
 photo Dunkirk_zpsnpq2zky4.jpg
Release: July 21st
The trailer failed to excite me, but the Interstellar one didn't either. Christopher Nolan has more than earned my trust at this point.

18. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
 photo Kingsman - The Golden Circle_zps8rmlfawn.jpg
Release: October 6th
The first was surprisingly good. I'm excited to see what they come up with for a sequel.

17. War for the Planet of the Apes
 photo War for the Planet of the Apes_zpsvn2yy8kq.jpg
Release: July 14th
I liked the first one of the series quite a bit more than the second. The fighting just wasn't as interesting as the development in Rise. Hopefully they can do something a little different than last time.

16. Free Fire
 photo Free Fire_zps69lacewa.jpeg
Release: March 17th
I thought it sounded uninteresting and silly until watching the trailer. I ended up getting quite a Snatch and Resevoir Dogs type feel.

15. The LEGO Batman Movie
 photo The LEGO Batman Movie_zpsuddh2u8b.jpg
Release: February 10th
I liked the first LEGO movie, or at least it was decent. Making a whole Batman movie is hopefully a great idea.

14. Life
 photo Life_zpsnkdynokk.jpg
Release: March 24th
Sci-fi discovering Alien life film. Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. Seemingly good budget. I am sold.

13. Wonder Woman
 photo Wonder Woman_zpsrwcybrsx.jpg
Release: June 2nd
I want it to be good, but I'm not as excited as I have been for the previous titles in this universe.

12. Beauty and the Beast
 photo Beauty and the Beast_zpshwh17rre.jpg
Release: March 17th
Cinderella and The Jungle Book were both really good. I'm expecting this to be as well. Maybe we'll get a Lion King or Aladdin la movie one day.

11. The Mummy
 photo The Mummy_zpsb7z2jvxd.jpg
Release: June 9th
Sounds like the beginning of a series with Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll. I do wish Arnold Vosloo was the mummy again but losing Fraser doesn't hurt as much.

10. Power Rangers
 photo Power Rangers_zpszwa3rrt2.jpg
Release: March 24th
It might suck right? Or maybe it will be an updated version and not so meant for children. I have hopes atm.

9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
 photo Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales_zpss1lwuiwc.jpg
Release: May 26th
I've enjoyed all the Pirates movies thus far. They do seem to get progressively worse, but they are still above the positive meter for me. It works because of Johnny Depp but Orlando Bloom seems to be coming back which is also exciting.

8. Transformers: The Last Knight
 photo Transformers - The Last Knight_zpskz7eqeqm.jpg
Release: June 23rd
Very similar to Pirate for me in that they seem to be getting worse with each outing. By I'm still holding hope as long as they have that Optimus Prime voice. I do like seeing Bumblebee fighting Optimus. Hopefully we get Unicorn.

7. Logan
 photo Logan_zpsusn12fzz.jpg
Release: March 3rd
I'm skeptical of the setting of this movie. I'm also skeptical of the villains here. But here's more hope in that it defies all that.

6. Alien: Covenant
 photo Alien - Covenant_zpsyfajhtnh.jpg
Release: May 19th
I haven't been this excited about an Alien movie since..well maybe Alien verse Predator. But that was basically the last one. Hopefully they can tie the mess that was Prometheus into the Alien world we love. I really don't hope it becomes a slasher in the second half.

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
 photo Spider-Man Homecoming_zpszeq4xsbw.jpg
Release: July 7th
I'm someone who thought The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was really terrific in a lot of ways. Adding Iron Man really helps adding to my excitement here. Spider-Man is one of my favorite characters but Tom and Marvel have a lot to prove.

4. Justice League
 photo Justice League_zpsahl780tq.jpg
Release: November 17th
How will Superman return? That's what I care about more than the villains turn out to be. I liked Jesse and Ben in the last movie so hopefully we get more of them if we aren't getting as much MOS. I'm all for fleshing out new characters as well but it won't have the same feeling Avengers had.

3. Thor: Ragnarok
 photo Thor - Ragnarok_zpstl4as1qj.jpg
Release: November 3rd
Adding the Hulk to this put it over the top for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the last two Thors but they weren't bad either. Addition by subtraction with Natalie Portman. It's really about Tom Hiddleston and how great he can be.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
 photo Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2_zpsyd5em68c.jpg
Release: May 5th
The trailer had me with baby Groot - I am Groot?

1. Star Wars: Episode VIII
 photo Star Wars Episode VIII_zpsuk6akpbl.jpg
Release: December 15th
I want to know who Rey's parents are. Who Snoke is. What happens to Leia. What happened to Luke. What is the fallout of Han's death. What happened to Finn. How the heck is this supposed to be darker. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (20-1)

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (100-81) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (80-61) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (60-41) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (40-21) 20. Vexing Devil Giving an opponent a choice is never a good idea. However I really feel like it's win win here in the aggressive deck. A 4/3 for one will almost always be worth a card. So the real question is - is it worth a card to deal 4 damage for a red? It's not quite Flame Slash good in a control deck, or as great top deck as Thunderous Wrath but better than Thunderbolt or Lava Axe . 19. Scute Mob Not a true one drop. But by turn six hopefully you are going get a hydra-like insect that will quickly get insanely huge if not dealt with. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have trample. It's still a great costed creature that can do some work if unchecked. There are lots of ways to give it Trample in Green not named Rancor . 18. Dragonmaster Outcast And yet another non-true o

50 Favorite Adult Swim Characters

I tried to get a good variety and yet be fair to what I like the most. I'm sure there are one I've missed and some that might be surprising but if it aired on Adult Swim - I can use it. I didn't use any characters from either Robot Chicken or Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! as they are basically clip shows and while good, the re-occurring characters aren't used enough. Also, it turns out H. Jon Benjamin is the voice for half these shows. 50. Chains     Fat Guy Stuck in Internet 49. Assy McGee    Assy McGee H. Jon Benjamin plays the mayor. 48. The Mayor    Tom Goes to the Mayor A Picture of Jeff Goldbloom instead of the Mayor, but this was by far the funniest thing on the show. 47. Inuyasha    Inuyasha 46. Satan     Lucy: The Daughter of the Devil Wears Bill Cosby sweaters and is always trying to kill his daughters boyfriend DJ Jesus. Yeah... One of the H. Jon Benjamin voices 45. Brak    The Brak Show/Space Ghost Alien space p