Skip to main content

My 100 movies (as of 2006 - Pre Netflix) 40 - 31

40. American History X
Photobucket
Photobucket

Great use of black and white. Edward Norton tries to save his brother Edward Furlong from going down the same path that he did. Norton steals the show and the dialogue is amazing. Takes some time to get into it I feel, but once your there you are hooked.

Bob Sweeney: There was a moment, when I used to blame everything and everyone for all the pain and suffering and vile things that happened to me, that I saw happen to my people. Used to blame everybody. Blamed white people, blamed society, blamed God. I didn't get no answers 'cause I was asking the wrong questions. You have to ask the right questions.
Derek Vinyard: Like what?
Bob Sweeney: Has anything you've done made your life better?


39. Super Troopers
Photobucket
Photobucket
Tons of one liners, very entertaing. Highway patrolmen way more entertaining then Reno-911 ever are. Cameo by Jim Gaffigan and stars Brian Cox and the Broken Lizard gang. Still waiting for number 2.

Farva: Gimme a litre o' cola.
Dimpus Burger Guy: What?
Farva: A litre o' cola.
Dimpus Burger Guy: Litrecola? Do we sell litrecola?
Thorny: Will you just order a large, Farva?
Farva: I don't want a large farva. I want a goddamn litre o' cola!
Dimpus Burger Guy: I don't know what that is!
Farva: Litre is French for give me my fuckin' cola


38. Indiana Jones
Photobucket
Photobucket
I think I give the third one more credit than most people and give the first one less than most. I think I agree with the populace that the second and fourth one aren't as great, though I do enjoy some scenes in Temple of Doom. Didn't like Lebeouf in Crystal skull.

Indiana Jones: Dad, you're going to have to use the machine gun. Get it ready!
Indiana Jones: 11 o'clock! Dad, 11 o'clock!
Professor Henry Jones: What happens at 11 o'clock?


37. Exorcist
Photobucket
Photobucket
Possesion of the girl Regan. Priests try to help, sort of succeed. Scary and shocking. Fantastic score. Created a whole sub-genre all by itself. Possibly the greatest horror movie ever made, except this one...

Demon: Your mother's in here, Karras. Would you like to leave a message? I'll see that she gets it.


36. The Shining
Photobucket
Photobucket
The overlook hotel, I think we can say is haunted. Though it's really hard the way they tell it through most of the movie, whether or not Jack Torrance is just crazy. Fantastic acting both by Jack and Wendy. The actual shining part doesn't really do much.

Jack Torrance: Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.
Jack Torrance: Gonna bash 'em right the fuck in


35. Scarface
Photobucket
Photobucket
The rise and fall of Tony Montana. Best Pacino movie. Best drug movie. I didn't see Godfather before making this list so you won't see that movie, but I still like this one better. "I'd just stay home all day, watch Scarface 50 times, eat a turkey sandwich..." - Dave Chappelle as Puff Daddy.

Tony Montana: Me, I want what's coming to me.
Manny: Oh, well what's coming to you?
Tony Montana: The world, chico, and everything in it.


34. A Time to Kill
Photobucket
Photobucket
Matthew McConaughey's greatest movie going up against Kevin Spacey in defending Samuel Jackson up for murdering two people. Race riots and questions endure. Wouldn't exactly call it a tale of redemption or revenge but it is moving. Cast includes Donald Sutherland, kiefer Sutherland, Oliver Platt, Sandra Bullock.

Carl Lee Hailey: You're white, and I'm black. See Jake, you think just like them. That's why I picked you. You're one of them, don't you see? Oh, you think you ain't 'cause you eat in Claude's and you out there trying to get me off on TV talking about black and white. But the fact is you're just like all the rest of them. When you look at me, you don't see a man, you see a black man.


33. Robin Hood Men In Tights
Photobucket
Photobucket
Spoof closer to Errol Flynn's original Robin Hood. Cary Elwes is fantastic in this comedy. Dave Chappelle and Isaac Hayes show up and both Prince John and the sherrif are both hilarious. Mel Brooks came through with a great movie, as good as Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs, maybe not but if you like Robin Hood like I do then maybe you will also like it a lot.

Prince John: Such an unusual name, "Latrine." How did your family come by it?
Latrine: We changed it in the 9th century.
Prince John: You mean you changed it TO "Latrine"?
Latrine: Yeah. Used to be "Shithouse."
Prince John: It's a good change. That's a good change!

32. Bloodsport
Photobucket
Photobucket
JCVD's best movie in my mind, and probably in everyones mind. The plot is basically a fighting tournament. The training scenes and fight scenes are amazing. Ray Jackson is comic relief and theres plenty of stakes here. Soundtrack dominates most of the movie as there aren't many speaking lines.

Frank Dux: Go for the gut. He's soft there.
Ray Jackson: What the hell are you talking about?
Frank Dux: Chong Li's weak in the gut. That's how Parades surprised him.
Frank Dux: Hey. You listening to me? Go for the stomach. And stay away from his right leg.
Ray Jackson: Will you stop worrying, Frankie? I've got it under control. You sound like my mother. Man alive.


31. Independence Day
Photobucket
Photobucket
Pretty sure most people at least recognize what this alien movie is even if they don't like it. The beginning of the blockbuster. I don't think the movies that came out the year before - Batman Forever, Toystory, Mortal Kombat, Ace Ventura 2, Golden Eye would really qualify. Goldbloom is excellent in everything, Will Smith is enjoyable and of course Lonestar!

Captain Steven Hiller: THAT'S RIGHT! Thats what you get! Look at you, ship all banged up! WHO'S THE MAN? HUH? WHO'S THE MAN? Wait until I get another plane! I am going to line all your friends RIGHT BESIDE YOU!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (20-1)

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (100-81) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (80-61) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (60-41) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (40-21) 20. Vexing Devil Giving an opponent a choice is never a good idea. However I really feel like it's win win here in the aggressive deck. A 4/3 for one will almost always be worth a card. So the real question is - is it worth a card to deal 4 damage for a red? It's not quite Flame Slash good in a control deck, or as great top deck as Thunderous Wrath but better than Thunderbolt or Lava Axe . 19. Scute Mob Not a true one drop. But by turn six hopefully you are going get a hydra-like insect that will quickly get insanely huge if not dealt with. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have trample. It's still a great costed creature that can do some work if unchecked. There are lots of ways to give it Trample in Green not named Rancor . 18. Dragonmaster Outcast And yet another non-true o

50 Favorite Adult Swim Characters

I tried to get a good variety and yet be fair to what I like the most. I'm sure there are one I've missed and some that might be surprising but if it aired on Adult Swim - I can use it. I didn't use any characters from either Robot Chicken or Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! as they are basically clip shows and while good, the re-occurring characters aren't used enough. Also, it turns out H. Jon Benjamin is the voice for half these shows. 50. Chains     Fat Guy Stuck in Internet 49. Assy McGee    Assy McGee H. Jon Benjamin plays the mayor. 48. The Mayor    Tom Goes to the Mayor A Picture of Jeff Goldbloom instead of the Mayor, but this was by far the funniest thing on the show. 47. Inuyasha    Inuyasha 46. Satan     Lucy: The Daughter of the Devil Wears Bill Cosby sweaters and is always trying to kill his daughters boyfriend DJ Jesus. Yeah... One of the H. Jon Benjamin voices 45. Brak    The Brak Show/Space Ghost Alien space p