YouTube - Matthew McConaughey Chest Thumping
I honestly haven't watched this movie a second time. I don't think it was that good at all or good enough where I feel like I need to re-watch it. I love Leo and Matthew though, so if I were to redo either filmography, this movie fits there.
And I love this scene, it sails beyond any other here.
Matthew McConaughey's chest thumping was his own idea. The humming was inspired by McConaughey's real life pre performance ritual. He has described using humming and chest thumping as a way of getting himself into a relaxed, focused state before performing. DiCaprio was already deeply invested in the scene, but McConaughey's improvised behavior threw him off in a way that helped create the natural reaction you see from Jordan.
The scene helped establish Hanna immediately. McConaughey only appears in a handful of scenes, but this lunch is essentially Jordan's introduction to the Wall Street lifestyle he's about to embrace. Hanna gives him the philosophy that drives much of Jordan's later behavior.
McConaughey won the role after a meeting with Scorsese and DiCaprio. He was originally only expected to have a small part, but his performance made Mark Hanna one of the movie's most memorable characters.

Comments
Post a Comment