Skip to main content

50 Most Rewatchable Movie Scenes - 11. Full Metal Jacket - The Hartman School For Motivation and Other Stuff Good Too

Full Metal Jacket

YouTube - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman Introduction and Training

I don't love too many of Stanley Kubrick's beyond The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut. I think 2001, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove are all pretty average movies. I can see why people like them, but not for me. Full Metal Jacket is a story of two halves. There is this intro which I think is the best part by far. Then the second half of the movie, you follow just a small handful of the recruits. R. Lee Ermey was perfect for his role and Vincent D'Onofrio has become one of my favorite actors.

R. Lee Ermey wasn't originally supposed to play Hartman. He was hired as a technical adviser, but he wanted the role. Kubrick initially thought Ermey wasn't vicious enough. Ermey then filmed himself unloading insults on recruits while people threw tennis balls and oranges at him to see whether he could stay in character. Kubrick saw the footage and changed his mind.

Ermey was a real Marine drill instructor. There's a slight myth about improvisation. It's often said Ermey simply made everything up while the cameras rolled. More accurately, he generated huge amounts of material during improvisation sessions, and much of it was then incorporated into the screenplay. Ermey himself later emphasized that he worked with Kubrick to shape the dialogue.

The famous insults came from an enormous amount of material. Kubrick had Ermey conduct filmed improvisation sessions with recruits. Leon Vitali recalled that they eventually had more than 800 pages of transcripts from Ermey's rants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Favorite Adult Swim Characters

I tried to get a good variety and yet be fair to what I like the most. I'm sure there are one I've missed and some that might be surprising but if it aired on Adult Swim - I can use it. I didn't use any characters from either Robot Chicken or Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! as they are basically clip shows and while good, the re-occurring characters aren't used enough. Also, it turns out H. Jon Benjamin is the voice for half these shows. 50. Chains     Fat Guy Stuck in Internet 49. Assy McGee    Assy McGee H. Jon Benjamin plays the mayor. 48. The Mayor    Tom Goes to the Mayor A Picture of Jeff Goldbloom instead of the Mayor, but this was by far the funniest thing on the show. 47. Inuyasha    Inuyasha 46. Satan     Lucy: The Daughter of the Devil Wears Bill Cosby sweaters and is always trying to kill his daughters boyfriend DJ Jesus. Yeah... One of the H. Jon Benjamin voices...

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (20-1)

My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (100-81) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (80-61) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (60-41) My Top 100 One Drop (CC) Creatures (40-21) 20. Vexing Devil Giving an opponent a choice is never a good idea. However I really feel like it's win win here in the aggressive deck. A 4/3 for one will almost always be worth a card. So the real question is - is it worth a card to deal 4 damage for a red? It's not quite Flame Slash good in a control deck, or as great top deck as Thunderous Wrath but better than Thunderbolt or Lava Axe . 19. Scute Mob Not a true one drop. But by turn six hopefully you are going get a hydra-like insect that will quickly get insanely huge if not dealt with. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have trample. It's still a great costed creature that can do some work if unchecked. There are lots of ways to give it Trample in Green not named Rancor . 18. Dragonmaster Outcast And yet another non-true o...